Tuesday, July 18, 2017

This was probably one of the craziest weeks of my life. We met with an FBI agent, a world class boxing judge, and a super cool new family!

So I'll start with the weirdest day ever. Last Tuesday, right after emailing, we were looking for a place to eat. I was having trouble deciding, since I don't understand half of what's written on any menu, when suddenly we heard someone shouting, "Salt Lake City! Utah Jazz! Salt Lake City!" We turned to see one of the most energetic old men I've ever seen in my life. He spoke a million miles an hour. He asked us if we were from Utah, we explained to him that neither of us were, and then he went on his way saying, "Bye bye, good luck! Bye bye good luck!" We returned our focus to finding me something to eat. Within 30 seconds, he was back and he was just spitting Hungarian faster than I've ever heard. Even Elder Harris was having trouble keeping up! We misunderstood him and thought he was asking us for food, so Elder Harris offered him a slice of pizza that he had just gotten for himself, but the random old guy was like, "Nooo, I want to buy YOU lunch! What do you want?" I was stunned and just said, "Nem tudom!" (I don't know) So he took my arm, brought me over to a burger stand, commanded the people to make two burgers with everything on it, quick and clean. It was super nice of him and he kept trying to speak English with us. He was like. "Sprite? Sprite? You can't have burger without Sprite!" While we were eating, he started talking about how he had met the missionaries once. He was Roman Catholic and believed in being nice to everybody. We taught him that when we serve others, we serve God, and that we really appreciated his kindness. He started singing "I am a Child of God" which was super funny! He said that he wanted to meet us at the same time, same place, next week so we'll see him tomorrow again I guess. It was just the weirdest, nicest thing ever! 

Winter Coat

Winter Coat in action

So many other weird things happened this week, so I'll just list a few good ones:
-We were given a JW bible by a man who let us in to talk, but he ended up being super cool and introduced us to his family. His grandkids were 8 and 10 year old boys and they were super talkative and sassy. So cute! We saw the kids again the next day while tracting!
-Elder Harris fell under a bus because he slipped on some gravel. It was a parked bus, so he's fine! I laughed way harder than I probably should have.
-Some of our investigators asked us if we could go to Romania with them. Sorry, not allowed.
-Some guy tried to sell us fidget spinners on a bus. Elder Harris bought them and gave the guy a Book of Mormon. Sell to the salesman!
-I accidentally bought the worlds biggest hot dog thinking that it was ground beef.

Butcher Shop


Celebrating the 4th of July with Ikea Hot Dogs



-We found some JW cd's in our apartment. They're all in Hungarian sign language!
-We also found a cd labeled "classical tidbits" full of intense orchestral music. It goes great with the JW sign language videos!
-We were at the Hivatal (immigration office) and as we were coming home, we got on this super crowded bus. The other Elders told me to hit the stop request button, to let the driver know that we wanted to get off at the next stop. Instead of hitting the normal stop button, I accidentally hit the emergency stop button! The bus came to a screeching halt and the bus driver asked us if everything was okay. We were all fine, I was just really embarrassed!

Modern architecture


One Hundred thousand billion pengo

For some strange reason, people have just been approaching us and talking with us this week. I think on around 6 or 7 different occasions, people just came up to us and started talking about random stuff. We are joking about how it's because Elder Harris got some new hair gel that says "irresistible power" on it. Speaking of funny English translations, I uploaded some pictures of some hilarious bootleg toys we found at a store.

We were able to go home teaching at the Snyder's house in Buda. Brother Snyder is in the FBI and had some CRAZY cool stories. We also met with a less active member named Greg Hughes. He's 80 years old and still in great shape. He was a world class boxing judge, art teacher, English teacher, and karate instructor! He's a super cool guy, but he believes in a weird mix between the Mormon church, Catholicism, and Zen Buddhism. We're going to start bringing him the sacrament each Sunday and I'm really excited!

That's about all I can think of for this week. Before I finish, I just want to encourage you all to look up the talk by President Uchtdorf called "The Best Time to Plant a Tree". It's a great talk about becoming who our Heavenly Father knows we can become.

"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

Sok szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

Hungarian word of the week: fájdalomcsillapitó which means liquid medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment