Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Sziasztok! Another fantastic week has come and gone in the good 'Ol Magyarország! We had some interesting ups and downs this week. We were dropped by one of our investigators who we thought had a lot of potential, and we were able to meet some cool new potential investigators! One of them was a young guy, probably around 20 to 12, named Oliver. He answered the door wearing nothing but his underwear. At the front gate, he interrupted us and said, "You probably get super hot and thirsty while you're out here tracting. Do you want some water?" Of course we accepted. He ran back inside and returned with some extremely refreshing water, and we continued our conversation. Oliver had just recently had a dental operation, so he wasn't feeling super well, but he invited us back next week! We exchanged phone numbers and set up to meet with him again. I'm super excited!

Another funny story that happened this week: I gave my first talk in sacrament meeting! It was all in Hungarian, and I think I did a pretty good job of it. I wrote it in English first, and with the help of my companion, translated it into Hungarian. But that's not all... the BYU Cougarettes were also in town and came to our ward! It gets even better, if you can believe it. As I was sitting up on the stand, my stomach started to hurt super badly. I have had a terrible diet consisting mostly of dairy and fruit (I know, I'm a genius) and it struck me at the worst time possible. I patiently waited for the bishop to finish the announcements, and as soon as the opening hymn started, I speed walked out of the chapel in Olympic record time, motioning for my companion to come with me as I walked out. Sound familiar? Almost the exact same thing happened at my farewell talk! Anyways, everything worked out and my bowels dwelt in peace for a season as I delivered my address. It was a pretty eventful sacrament meeting!

I wanted to share a few quick spiritual thoughts with you all. One of my favorite Book of Mormon prophets is Alma the younger. In Alma chapter 36, he offers some great advice to his son, Helaman, which can apply to all of us. I particularly like Alma's display of faith in Jesus Christ. He states with power that he has a testimony of our Savior and his redeeming grace. He talks about how he knows that as we put our trust in the Lord, we will be supported in our trials. I know that I'm only 19 years old, but I've definitely seen the hand of the Lord in my life in this way. I know that as we put our trust in Him, we can receive blessings and comfort no matter what we are going through. I just love the strength that we can receive as we study the words of the prophets of old. On that note, have you read the newest Liahona? I highly recommend checking those out. They are full of great stories, advice, and encouragement.

I love you all and hope that you have a wonderful week!

Sok szeretettel,
Burnett Elder

p.s. The Hungarian word of the week is one I heard at church and it made me laugh out loud. It is pipa, pronounced pee paw and it means check mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment