Thursday, March 16, 2017

Well, today marks 1 month in the mission, which is pretty unreal. We said goodbye to the 3 Albanians yesterday so our little zone is getting smaller! The Dutch and Turkish leave next week, meaning it will just be the Hungarians for 2 days! After that, we get 11 new Dutch missionaries and I think 3 more Turkish missionaries sometime in April. It will be fun to welcome them in, but I'll miss the old Dutch and Turkish missionaries!

I've learned that missionary work is definitely work. The refiner's fire is no faint, flickering candle, but rather a blazing inferno! In our lives, we may feel as if we can't bear our afflictions any longer, but I know that through our Savior, Jesus Christ, we can do ALL things. 

I have an insert in my Book of Mormon that says, "How can you and I really expect to glide naively through life, as if to say, Lord, give me experience, but not grief, not sorrow, not pain, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what Thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share Thy joy!"

At times when I feel discouraged or down, I think of this insert. We really should rejoice in our trials, as the Apostle Paul did. "We glory in tribulations... knowing that tribulation worketh patience. And patience, experience; and experience, hope." Romans 5: 3-4 
As we strive to "Become as He is" we will realize that great blessings can come from trials.

One of our investigators is Dezső. He is an older, less active man who left the church because of his addiction to alcohol. He isn't a real investigator, but one of our teachers pretending to be him. The character, Dezső is based on a real Hungarian who was taught by my teacher. Anyways, our teachers always tell us to treat our lessons here at the MTC as if they were real, because you never know the influence you can have on the person. Our teacher who was roleplaying as Dezső told the class that he himself was struggling with addictions. It was one of the most tender moments I've ever experienced. It just made me want to help him so badly! There are people in Hungary who are going through the same things, and I know that I will have the opportunity to share the gospel with them. I have been called to DECLARE the word, not say, "excuse me, this message is important" but rather, "I HAVE THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE YOU WILL EVER RECEIVE IN YOUR ETERNAL EXISTENCE" or something like that. 

I'm so grateful to be here, surrounded by uplifting, spiritual experiences and people. I know that sometimes it can be hard, but the hard times make the happy times happier! I am grateful for all of those who have helped me to be where I am today. Be sure to keep your chins up!

Szeretlek titeket,

Burnett Elder

p.s. the word of the week 17 syllables long. megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért. It means "for all of your continued benefit, as if you could not be desecrated"


No comments:

Post a Comment