Wednesday, March 8, 2017

This week was a roller coaster for sure! First of all, my companion, Daniels Elder, and I are the new zone leaders starting next Sunday. More responsibilities, my favorite! We're both really excited for this new way to serve and I honestly can't wait! The current zone leaders will be training us next week before they leave, and Elder Lowder (one of the current ZL's) is like my best friend so that'll be fun. They get a little flip phone so that they can be contacted in case of an emergency, but we all use it to play music with the tones it makes when you press the buttons. 

The Hungarian teachers wanted to make our experience here more like the field, so we have an area book full of names of potential investigators and less active members. Each of our teachers will role play as a few different investigators and they do a crazy good job! We taught a 50 year old alcoholic yesterday and the spirit was incredibly powerful during that lesson. He told us about his struggle to overcome his addiction and how he knew it was bad for his life. As I listened to him, only understanding a few words per sentence, my heart broke for him. He wasn't my teacher anymore in my eyes. I saw Dezső, the 50 year old alcoholic, and I wanted to help him with all my heart. In our broken, caveman Hungarian, we testified of our Savior's love for him personally, and that he is loved. You could tell that our message helped him feel better. Experiences like this one have helped me gain a love for the people of Hungary without having been there. It's such a powerful motivator for me to learn the language! I just want to help them see what this Gospel can bring them.

Our zone is participating in a pilot program for a new curriculum, and since I'm the district leader, it basically means that I get to try new things and report on them without having a clue what I'm doing! Everyone is very supportive and patient as I figure things out, and so far the new material is really awesome. Yesterday, we had a short testimony meeting type thing and we all shared our thoughts and what we learned throughout the week. I was the last to share my thoughts, and I testified of the Atonement and its influence in my life and also of my experience with Dezső. After I finished bearing my testimony, the meeting ended and Brother Warner (a counselor in the branch presidency) gave me a huge hug and whispered, "I hope that some day I can grow up to be like you." Those words hit me so hard. I am so grateful to be here. I know that I have a positive influence on others, and I am so humbled to know the impact I can have on others.

The Church is true. What a privilege it is to be here! I love you all and hope all is well. Feel free to email me, I'll respond as soon as I can!

Szeretlek titeket! (that's probably not spelled right so forgive me)

Burnett Elder

p.s. I've gained 10 pounds in the 3 weeks I've been here. Go food!

p.s.s. The Hungarian word of the week is segitettetek "they helped" it's a lot of fun to say!

Here's the Plan of Salvation in Hungarian:



Parker with his Aunt and Uncle who are serving another mission after being Mission Presidents:


No comments:

Post a Comment