Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Sheesh! This week kinda made me feel like a pinball. You know, flashing lights, lots of bouncing around, loud noises and general chaos. It was fun! (Warning: Long Email. I won't be upset if you skim it haha)



On Monday, we got one of those classic texts from President Hettinger, which said, "Hey Elder Smith, can you call me when you have a second?" We all know what that means! Elder Smith will be serving as the next Assistant to the President and had to head up to Budapest on Wednesday morning. It'll be a big adventure for him :)

Tuesday we went to my favorite place in the world: The Immigration Office! My residence permit is expiring in April so I had to apply for a new one. Good thing I didn't do my hair that morning, 'cause they took my mugshot to put on the new card hahaha. Oh boy...

After the Immigration Office, we met with Andi and Erick and had a great meeting with them. Andi was sad that Elder Smith is leaving, but she's going to be so excited to hear that Sisters will be coming to Debrecen! (more about that later). Erick might be less excited, but we'll see hahaha. They're awesome. I left that lesson just so grateful for the people I've met and the friends I've made as a missionary.

Then we went to meet with Csáki Csaba. He's still doing well hahaha. I love that man. We read from the Book of Mormon together and discussed what we read.

After our meeting with Csaba, the Nyíregyháza Elders, Elder Proctor and Elder Hudson, came to stay with us so that I wouldn't be alone when Elder Smith heads up to Budapest. The 4 of us had a great time together.

Wednesday was crazy. We went and helped Árpád at his garden center and spent an hour or so tying down potted trees so that they don't blow down in the wind. It was really fun! Árpád is also super cool.

After that we had to rush to Nyíregyháza for a meeting with a returning member named Laci. He had the cutest 2 year old son who kept offering us his toys as we were talking. Laci also gave us one of the heaviest meals I've ever eaten. He gave us a giant leg of ham, homemade sausage, and some other meats. It was pretty much straight salt and fat hahaha. He kept saying, " Be sure to eat some pickles or this will destroy your stomach!" So that was nice.

Thursday was another one of the craziest days ever. We went out to Hajduhadház (where József lives) because there was a referral there from Facebook who requested a copy of the Book of Mormon. We went out there and we couldn't find the house we were looking for so we asked a man who was standing outside of his home. He asked us who we were, and when we told him we were missionaries he asked if we had a book we could give him. "For some reason" I had packed 2 copies of the Book of Mormon that day, so I asked if we could come in and share a message with him about the book. He invited us in and gathered his family around. There were 15 people living in that tiny little brick house. Several children, several adults, and the matriarch, Kata, sat in on our lesson. They didn't talk much, but they invited us to come back next week, saying that they really need the Lord. Well, that's what we're here for, so we'll go back!

Since we were in the area, we decided to visit József. He was super excited to see us and invited us in. He excitedly told us that he was reading the part of the Book of Mormon where Nephi sees the vision of the tree of life and he talks with the angel. He said, "You know what's funny? Just before you showed up, I was praying to God that He would help heal my legs so that I could come to Church. And then you showed up! God must have sent you!" I felt prompted to talk about Priesthood blessings. I would have offered to give him one right then, but for some reason I felt like a member should do it. We told József about it and he was so excited. He has such great faith! This week, some of the members will go with the missionaries to visit József to give him a Priesthood blessing. It will be a miracle!

I'm going to do the rest in bullet-point format because this is just going to be a novel if I don't:

-Back to Nyíregyháza to teach English class. Had a Stake Correlation meeting afterward. Stayed the night there.

Friday:
Went to Debrecen in the morning. Had District council and afterward helped the Ockeys unload some stuff from their car to a new apartment being opened up here.
-Back to Nyíregyhaza to meet with Józsi Bácsi (another super awesome man. I love him to death!)


-Cleaned the Branch House
-Back to Debrecen. Drunk guy at the train station wanted to fight me, then asked me for money. I just told him no and walked away.

Saturday:
-Helped a member move
-Went to visit our friends from Pakistan. They cooked us an amazing dinner and we had a great time with them

Sunday:
-I spoke in Church about having questions and finding answers to those questions. Everyone from the Eszénus congregation came! One was a woman we hadn't met before: the mother of the priestesses. She said afterward that she just felt something special when she walked in and that she wants to come again! One of the other people from the congregation told her that she should get a copy of the Book of Mormon, so I gave her the copy I was carrying with me. She said she was going to read it on the train.
-After our Church, we went to the Eszénus church service, which was held in Bianka and Dori's apartment. It was awesome and they asked lots of questions about the Book of Mormon afterward.
-Had barbecue ribs for dinner with the Ockeys. Super good end to the week!


Still reading? Hahaha sorry about the novel. It was a jam packed week, and this is only a part of it. The last thing I'll talk about is transfer calls! We got our transfer calls this morning and it looks like I'll be moving again! I'm going to Miskolc with Elder Peery. It's going to be incredible. Can't wait! Also, they're moving 2 companionships of Sister missionaries here to Debrecen. Should be good for everyone!

Love you all and hope you have a good week! Talk to you soon.

Üdv

Elder Burnett

No comments:

Post a Comment