Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Whew, transfer 2 is finished and my journey will be continuing in Veszprém! I'm super excited to get out of the big city and see some more of what Hungary has to offer. I'm leaving tomorrow to meet my new companion and my new home. I'm so excited!

This week was just a blast. It was Elder Harris's birthday and we got permission to go to a pinball museum, which was super cool. I even got a picture with my childhood hero, Darth Maul! I don't know why, but for as far back as I can remember, he's always been one of my favorite characters to ever exist in anything... Anyways, we had a great time at the pinball museum!


We also got to witness the baptism of Varga Krisztian! Elder Harris actually performed the baptism and everything went well. Elder Harris said he was kind of nervous and accidentally did it "too hard" and so we were laughing pretty hard about that. Krisztian bore his testimony after and it was just so powerful. The Lord really does prepare the hearts of people, and sometimes they find us!


We also got to go on splits twice, which is always a good time. We got to do some creative finding and actually had a really crazy experience while doing so. Here's a bit of context: I was going on splits with Elder Aardema and we had a lesson planned with Agi (another investigator with a baptismal date for the end of September!) and our member present cancelled on us. We called 5 or 6 people to try to find a replacement, but nobody could come. We called Agi and told her that we would just have to meet in a public place like a park or something, and it was no real problem. Anyways, after all of that happened, we decided to take a giant whiteboard and draw out the Plan of Salvation and the 3 big questions on it. We took the big whiteboard out to a high traffic area and started trying to talk with people. We had a few rough rejections, but for the most part it was pretty good! Then, all of the sudden a 20 year old guy came up to us and told us that he used to meet with the missionaries. After a little conversation, we found out that he was actually baptized back in 2010 and hadn't been to church in a while. He was a little bit awkward, and just kind of stood there while we continued trying to talk with people. After a little bit, we thought... well, this guy is a member and we need a member to go teach Agi with us so.... we asked him to come with us and he agreed! Then we had a great lesson with Agi and the guy actually came tracting with us. It was just a really random and pretty crazy experience.

On a more spiritual note, I've been thinking a lot about my Heavenly Father and His plan for me. I know that there is a plan for all of us, I really do know it. It is perfect. Sometimes it may be hard for us to see why things are happening the way that they are, but we just need to have trust in the Lord and in our Father in Heaven. We can read so many examples of how people pressed forward with faith and received incredible blessings after some really hard trials. Whenever I feel like I'm struggling, I just think, "Well, a big blessing must be coming!" and that tends to be true. For example, we were out tracting the other day and house after house, people were just rejecting us and being pretty brutal for no real reason. We were tired, hot, and quite frankly I was feeling discouraged. But we kept working because when things get hard, it just means that a blessing is coming! Sure enough, the last 2 doors were both really kind old women who accepted return appointments for us to give them copies of the Book of Mormon and talk more. Always trust in Heavenly help. Always push forward! We may not see immediate results, but they will surely come! I love being a missionary and I love the gospel! 

Thank you all for your love and support!

Burnett Elder

Hungarian word of the week is a funny mistake I made: "Egészségedre" means "to your health" (they use it for 'bless you' and things like that) but "EgészSEGedre" (no accent over the second e) means "to your whole butt". Just make sure you pronounce things correctly!

No comments:

Post a Comment