Monday, August 21, 2017

Well, this week just flew by. This next week is my last full week in the transfer, and there's only 4 more months until Christmas! Where is the time going?

We had a pretty productive week! I'll just share a highlight.

The sisters have been teaching a man named Krisztián who is just amazing. He found the Church through family history and requested a Book of Mormon online. The Sisters went out to teach him, since they have a car and he lives about an hour away by car, and he is just so prepared! He accepted a baptismal date on the second lesson, and he has come to church a few times now. He actively participates in meetings and shares good comments and asks questions. It's really exciting! We were able to sit in on a lesson with him, and he was always referring to the Church as "Our church" and things and it was just super awesome. He is being baptized next Saturday! We are so happy to see his progress.

My favorite thing that I have learned from Krisztián is that Gospel just makes sense. He kept saying that everything is logical in the Gospel. I love that he has that attitude because it's so true! The Gospel of Jesus Christ just takes all of the pieces of life and puts the puzzle together for us. It all makes sense. The more I study and learn about the Plan of Salvation, the more I am convinced of the perfection of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and the plan that They have laid out for us. Of course, there are things that we may have questions about, that we may not be able to answer perfectly at this time, but there is a quote that Brother Westfall always told us that I think of often: "We don't know everything, but we know enough to make the right decisions and to make it back to our Father in Heaven." Remember to always doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith! Doubt is a tool that Satan is very aware of. He has gotten pretty good at using it, and he has years of practice. Doubts can destroy testimonies if they are not addressed and taken care of. My advice to you is to always remember those basic things which you know to be true. Is the Book of Mormon true? Was Joseph Smith a true prophet, called of God? Is Thomas S. Monson a true prophet of God in our day?

If you don't know these things, seek to know them. Pray and you will know. If you seek with real intent, you will receive a witness that these things are true! If you DO already know these things, never forget them. Never forget that feeling you had when you came up out of the waters of baptism, when you felt the influence of the Holy Ghost, when you received your testimony of the Book of Mormon, or when you felt the power of the holy priesthood in your life. Never let Satan convince you that these were simply feelings created by an overstimulated imagination. They were feelings from Heaven. You knew that when you felt them, and you should know that now.

I remember when I was about 14 years old, our ward was challenged to read the entire Book of Mormon in the month of August. Of course, being a 14 year old, I felt that I had better things to do with my summer than sit and read. Yet for some reason, I felt compelled to read the book. I am so glad that I did. When I was nearing the end, I came across Moroni's promise in Moroni chapter 10, verses 3 through 5.

"Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and pnder it in your hearts.

And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

And by the power of the Holy Ghost, ye may know the truth of all things."

When I read those words, I was compelled to put them to the test. Of course, I knew already that the Book of Mormon was true. I was raised in the Church and had known it my whole life. But still, something drew me toward those words. I remember laying in my bed, holding the Book of Mormon in my hands, and offering a silent and sincer prayer in my heart, asking God if the book was true. I will never forget the feeling that came over me. It brought me to tears. I knew at that time that I held in my hands the words of God, the fullness of the Gospel, and a witness of Christ. I knew that it was true, and I still know that it is true. I know it with all of my heart, more than I know anything else. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. He restored the Church in our dispensation. The Book of Mormon is true, and it is the word of God. Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God and he guides us in our day. I know that it is true!

My testimony is not enough. You too must find out for yourself if these things are not true. And remember, if they are true, then you need to act. This is my challenge for the week. Find out if it is true.

I love you all and I love this work. I wish you all the best in this coming week! Endure the heat well!

Sok szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

The Hungarian word of the week is "tűzijáték" which means "fireworks". I think it directly translates to fire games, which I think is very fitting. Yesterday was St. Stephen's day and there were a bunch of fireworks which we could watch from our kitchen window!

Funny sign at the Hungarian Mexican Restaurant:  It says, "Thank God for creating the taco".  Amen amigo.  Amen!


Parker called this one "excellent design":


Cut his tie to celebrate 6 months out.


Rocking the pompadour hair



No comments:

Post a Comment