Monday, June 12, 2017

Hey everyone! Week 17 has come and gone. Transfers are nearing an end and it has just flown by. A lot of crazy stuff happened this week. 

We'll start with the good. While weekly planning, we made a bold move and decided that we were going to set a goal to get two new investigators this week. The next day, while tracting, we were let into an apartment complex where we had a wonderful conversation with a college student named Zoltán. He was very accepting of the Restoration and found the Book of Mormon interesting. About twenty minutes into the lesson, his mom came home and joined us. She was just as interested! We gave them a Book of Mormon, bore our testimonies of the Savior, and ended with a prayer and they invited us back. It was a miracle and we left the lesson full of happiness and excitement. We were also able to witness the baptism and confirmation of Dezső! It was the most interesting baptism I've ever seen. He's just a funny guy!

Next, the bad. There really wasn't anything necessarily "bad" but some weird interactions took place this week. We had a few conversations with some homeless people, who wanted to hear about Jesus and told us some...different ideas that they had about Him, we were cat called by some drunk women from the sun roof of a limo, and an English woman told us that we need to support Trump by talking with people in the streets and telling them to take back power from women. People are strange sometimes.

Finally, the ugly. Here is a journal entry that I thought was worth sharing:

"I drink out of a green, plastic cup with pictures of Santa all over it. I have ever since my first day in Hungary. Today after church, I grabbed my cup from its usual place on the counter, filled it with water, and drank from it. I noticed a strange taste, almost as if it had been cleaned by some weird minty chemical. I went into the kitchen to try to wash out the minty taste and to my horror, saw my ACTUAL green santa cup sitting in a different spot on the counter. I had just drank out of a mysterious, identical, green Santa cup. I asked Elder Jones what he had used the other cup for, and he said that he used it to hold his retainer every day while he isn't wearing it. He filled it with mouth wash and let it soak. In a failed attempt to protect me from the very mistake that I had already committed, he had set the identical, green Santa cup, then already tainted by the retainer, in a place where he thought surely I wouldn't fatally mistake it for my own green Santa cup: on the counter next to the rest of our dishes. I am slightly horrified by the thought that I essentially drank his retainer water, but we laughed pretty hard about it. It's been a long "test of faith" kind of day. I now drink out of a pink, flower cup, which I made certain is one of a kind."

I love you all and hope that all is well! When times get hard, think of how your situation can help you grow. Sometimes, you just have to press forward with faith, as Nephi and many other prophets of old, not knowing beforehand what will happen! I know that Jesus Christ lives and He loves each of us personally. Stay strong, valiantly serve, look for ways to help others around you. I have found it a blessing in my life to strive to listen, learn, labor, and love each day and I challenge you to all strive to improve in each of those fields each day! May the Lord bless you all in all that you do.

Sok szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

This week's Hungarian word abbahagyni, which means "to stop". Stop signs here just say "stop" probably because abbahagyni wouldn't fit!





No comments:

Post a Comment