Monday, May 8, 2017

It's crazy how fast the weeks go by! Days are long and weeks are short. It makes no sense, but that's how it is! We had stake conference for 10 hours and only 2 or 3 of the talks were in English (that's still more than I expected!) but I didn't really understand anything. I just sat and wrote down as many words as I could pick out that I didn't know and then I spent a good amount of time looking them up in the dictionary later. 

As far as investigators go, we met a woman while tracting who invited us back next Thursday, which is the most success we've had while tracting besides a let in who néni blasted us last week. Our investigator who is preparing for a baptism on June 10th dogged our lesson and didn't come to stake conference, which was extremely disappointing. He's been meeting with the missionaries for years and he has been taught everything. It's hard to know what to do in that situation, but I think that the best thing to do is just pray and follow the inspiration of the Spirit. We are also meeting with two couples who are both really awesome. The Tivadorék (Tivador is their last name and the ék ending means people of Tivador aka their family) are super solid. The husband has a really bad speech impediment which makes it really challenging to understand him. They are so kind though! The other family is the Szilagiék who believe that the Book of Mormon is true and they like what we teach, but they don't feel ready to keep the commandments. They have some word of wisdom problems, but I have faith that they will progress.

The other day I was feeling a little bit down as we were walking home, but I smelled the freshly mowed lawn of the Tihany Tér church building and I was just taken back home. I was overwhelmed with a feeling of peace and began to think of all of the things that are the same about Hungary. Of course, the European culture is vastly different, and there are inumerable differences, but when I look up, I still see the same blue sky that was back home. There are many little similarities that make the 5,585 miles between home and me seem just the slightest bit smaller. Most importantly, the same glorious Gospel can be found here. The people have the same testimonies, the same faith, and the same steadfast conversion as the people back home. No matter how great the physical distance, we are all united and brought closer through Jesus Christ and His Gospel. I love the message that we are able to share and pray that the hearts of the people will be softened. They don't know what this Gospel is to them and I am privilaged to be able to bring them that knowledge through the Spirit. It is a heavy load, but we can do all things through Christ!

I love you all and hope and pray daily for your well being. It's been a wild ride for sure, but it's been incredible. Feel free to email me with questions or things. I'll do my best to answer them! Have a wonderful week!

Sok Szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

p.s. Hungarian word of the week is böfög which is burp. It's just a funny word I learned this week!




No comments:

Post a Comment