Monday, June 17, 2019

Whew, it definitely feels like June... We've sunny weather in the high 90s and it is HOT! Lucky for us, our apartment has air conditioning, which is a huge blessing. Seriously...

-Got to go to Budapest for a mission leadership council, which was fun. We talked about ways that we can effectively implement the new technology we get to use, how to work better with members, and made plans to be more efficient. It's always a good time :)

-On our way home from that, we met a really nice man from Ecuador. He's a student here in Miskolc and we talked with him the whole way back to Miskolc. He was super nice and because of our new technology, we were able to exchange Facebook information and keep in touch with him!

-We also had exchanges with the Szolnok Elders and I got to serve with Elder Beck for the day. We had a great time, as we always do on exchanges.

-Someone stopped us and started talking with us in Spanish, so that was a new experience for us haha.

-We had a YSA pizza party which was super successful! We had some friends of the Church and inactive members there and it was a great "next step" for some of the people we're working with. Besides that, who doesn't like a good pizza party?

-There have been tons of festivals and concerts and programs going on here in Miskolc. I'm not sure what for, but the Hungarians love to celebrate at any opportunity!

-We saw a man driving and playing a moving piano down the street. What a world we live in hahaha.

Something that I've been thinking about recently is being prepared. I love the talk "Your Priesthood Playbook" by Elder Gary E Stevenson. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I'm not really into sports. I'll watch it if everyone else is, but I'm not very invested in it. I know most of the rules of the games, but you'll never hear me saying, "They just need to establish a running game!" and meaning it. Anyway, despite that, the analogy that Elder Stevenson uses in this talk really stuck out to me. It just makes sense.

Professional athletes spend hours refining their tactics and strategies. They learn counter plays and are prepared to not only play offensively, but also to react defensively. Likewise, we have to learn how to play on the spiritual offensive, as well as defensive. I had never before considered sitting down and thinking, "Alright, if I'm faced with 'x' problem, how am I going to react?" and making a plan based on my answer. Elder Stevenson mentions having had made the decision beforehand, in the moment of temptation or trial, it will be much easier to follow through with our plans and we will be able to respond better.

Another talk that goes hand in hand with this one, at least in my mind, was "Where Will This Lead?" by President Dallin H. Oaks. I love the story of the squirrel. (if you don't know what I'm talking about, go and read the talk!) Everyone just sat around watching the squirrel, and when the inevitable happened and the dog caught the squirrel, THAT'S when everyone tried to prevent the tragedy. 

If we have a playbook and we have a plan, we will be able to act before tragedy strikes. By knowing the plays of the opposition, and equally important knowing how we will respond, we will be able to foresee and prevent potential setbacks in our personal progression.

We can prepare best by living according to the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, studying the scriptures and words of modern Apostles and Prophets, regularly attending Church, serving others, and praying every day!

Like the Nephite armies in Alma 50, we can fortify our lands before the battle!

I love my mission. I have learned so much about myself and about my place in the world and in the eternities.

I hope you all have a wonderful week! Go make a playbook and fortify yourself. As you do so prayerfully, the Lord will guide you and help set you up for success!

Sok szeretettel,

Elder Burnett



No comments:

Post a Comment