Monday, June 24, 2019

When Parker looks like Davis:

We're having a great time here in Miskolc. Thanks to technology, we have had an easier time keeping in touch with returning members and our friends of the Church. We have been using group chats, sending personal spiritual messages, following up with people who didn't come to Church, sending pamphlets, inviting to activities, and teaching more frequent, shorter lessons to people. It's really been awesome!

I want to share a chain of tender mercies that we experienced this week. Early on in the week, we were looking through our old "People with Interest" sheets and clearing those up when I came across the name of a young man named Robi. Elder Peery and I had talked with him on the street back in March and we got his phone number. I had tried to call him back in March with no success, and didn't think anything of it. Well, here we were at the end of June and I was about to just delete his number from my phone, when I thought, "What do I have to lose if I try calling one more time?" Well I called and he answered! He remembered who we are and we set up a meeting for Saturday.

That, to me, was huge!



The next tender mercy in the chain came when we went to the meeting. We had planned to meet near a big statue in the middle of town and unfortunately, he didn't show up (he texted us later saying that something came up, which is better than nothing I suppose). As we all know, when someone doesn't show up, you go to your backup plan, and God will do the rest. We were about to start street contacting when we ran into an old friend, Zsolt. We were able to talk with him for about 20 minutes and we showed him a video about Jesus Christ's Church that answered some of his questions.

That was also huge*.

Finally, as we were on our way home, we ran into another one of our friends and we were able to answer a question she had about the Bible, which revealed more of the "ice-berg" of concerns she has with the gospel. Her question helped me realize that she probably feels a lot of unnecessary shame and guilt because of some past circumstances, and that we could totally help her feel peace and freedom from those feelings! The best part is, we have been meeting with her doing English 30/30 lessons, and after this interaction she said, "Why don't we skip the English part and just talk about the Gospel next time?" We have strong feelings that she will join the Church and be baptized as she meets with us more frequently and learns the fullness of the gospel. Her mother is also inactive, and this might help her to come back unto the fold!

Things are going great with the youth as well. We had a game night that we helped Edina arrange and there were 22 people who came! It was a huge success.



I am so grateful to be a missionary. It has been a life-changing adventure and I've learned so many valuable lessons. I love the Gospel and I love my Savior and know that He always stands ready to help us and walk with us through anything. As I've learned more about what that really means, I've felt a stronger connection with Jesus Christ and with my Heavenly Father. They really do love us, so individually.

Huge**.

Szeretettel,

Elder Burnett

*Don't like my use of the word "huge" here? Tessék használni (go ahead and use) some other options: incredible, inspiring, special, marvelous, noteworthy, assuring, comforting, memorable.

**I think really the list of words that could replace this one could be endless. Maybe "Life-changing" would be the most appropriate substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment