Monday, October 22, 2018

We've had another incredibly busy week and I'm loving every minute of it. Elder Cook and Elder Sabin are in Romania today, and will be coming to Budapest tomorrow. We're all very excited! They will be speaking to the missionaries that morning, and then addressing the Hungarians in the evening. We have done all that we can to invite people to this amazing event. I described it to one person as being "just as exciting as it would be if Peter, James, or John came to speak to us!" and it is! An Apostle of the Lord will come to tell the Hungarians exactly what the Lord wants them to hear.

I'm always amazed by the small ways the Lord manifests to me that He is aware of me and that He loves me. This week, His love was manifest to me as I testified to a family of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. As I spoke to them, the Spirit witnessed to me that what I was saying was true, and it also witnessed to me that the words which were coming out of my mouth were not my own, but that they were given to me from God. I expressed God's love for this family, and I could see the affect of the Spirit on them. It was a very joyous meeting, and one that I am grateful to have taken part in.

I am also consistently amazed by the ways that the Lord guides and directs us. 

We were out ringing a csengő and there were some people sitting on their balcony chatting. They listened to us ring for about 10 minutes, and finally asked, "Who are you looking for?" We told them who we are and what we do, and they told us that they weren't interested. I could just feel that they were irritated with us and was worrying that at any second they were going to come down and let us have it.

We kept ringing, despite the awkward feeling and right as we finished ringing the last bell, two people walked passed us and they were speaking English. We kind of chased them down, and I said, "Excuse me, I heard you speaking English and I'm wondering where you're from." One of them was from China and the other was a Hungarian news reporter. They were just talking about how nice the American people are and how hospitable they were when the reporter visited America.

This led to a really wonderful conversation, in English, as we walked up the street together. As we were walking back down the street, someone called out to us in English, saying, "Hey guys! Thanks for coming on your missions!" We then had another awesome conversation with him. 

Just think about the dominoes that were being set up and knocked down in this situation. It's amazing to me! I always love to think about the dominoes. "If this hadn't happened in exactly this way, then this wouldn't have happened either!"

Recognize the dominoes that are being set up and knocked over in your life and you too will be amazed by how involved the Lord is in your life.

Szeretettel,

Burnett elder

I've described this before, but I'll do it again for those of you who aren't familiar with tracting in Hungary. Most people live in 5 or 10 story buildings, and a lot of these are surrounded by a big metal fence. At the gate, there is a little box, called a csengő (bell), that has a keypad on it. Next to the keypad is a list of names and codes. You enter the code that's next to the name, and then a phone inside of the house will ring for about 30 seconds. When someone answers, you have a conversation over the phone and they either hang up, or they let you in by pressing a button that unlocks the gate (or sometimes the front door). Once you get into the front door, you then may have to ring a second bell at the corridor to the apartment you want to get into. It's a really painful process, especially because the phones can be heard all throughout the entire building. When we sit and ring the csengő, people tend to get upset after about 15 minutes of constant ringing (understandable). Sometimes they'll come down and yell at us and tell us nobody wants to hear our message and that we should go to France (that's a Hungarian swear).  

No comments:

Post a Comment