Monday, September 17, 2018

Another packed week! 
We saw a Scientology demonstration in the public square near our apartment. As we were walking past, a man stopped me and asked, "Are you Mormon missionaries?" and I said, "Yes, we are!" and we just started chatting a bit. His name was Jan, and he was from Florida. He said that he's always had really good friends who were members of the Church, and that he respects us a lot. He explained a little bit about what Scientologists believe, and said, "Our churches have quite a bit in common, you know. We have a very different view on history, but we have a lot in common. I really like the Mormons. If I wasn't a Scientologist, I'd be a Mormon!" He was super friendly, and I appreciated his kindness. We asked him about the demonstration, and apparently the Hungarian government confiscated a lot of records from the Scientologist church here in Hungary because they are a "weird church". The demonstration was in protest to this so I guess that's pretty admirable.


We got to drive Elder Engbjerg of the 70 to the airport because all of the taxis were booked. This was a huge blessing, because we had such a good time chatting as we drove! He was such a friendly person, who just radiated love. He shared with us a very special experience of how he decided to serve a mission. He was living in America when he found the Church and was baptized, and nobody in his family was a member. As he was flying home to Denmark, he remembered the admonition of so many prophets and other priesthood leaders that, "every worthy able young man should serve a mission". He kept dismissing the thoughts as his own, but they were constant and relentless. He couldn't sleep at all with his mind so occupied by the thought of serving a mission. He thought, "I'm too old. I've already been to college! I just joined the Church, I don't need to serve." but the thought persisted. Finally, he prayed, saying, "Heavenly Father, if you prompt somebody to encourage me to serve, then I promise I will serve." After that prayer, he was able to fall asleep for the rest of the flight. He said that when he woke up, he had forgotten all about his promise.

When he returned home, he attended church at the nearest meeting house, where the Bishop asked to have an interview with him to get to know him. During their interview, they talked about Elder Engbjerg's conversion, his adventures in America, and what he liked to do with his free time. In the middle of the conversation, the Bishop said, "I don't know why... but I feel the overwhelming need to ask you to serve a mission." That's when the tears came, and Elder Engbjerg remembered his promise to Heavenly Father. He told the Bishop of the promise, and they got straight to work! "The Lord heard my prayer and my promise, and he kept me to it. I am forever grateful for the things that I learned from my mission. It later helped me in many callings, including when I was a mission president in Poland. I will never forget how I felt, knowing that my prayer was heard and answered." 

I'm so lucky to have had that special experience driving with Elder Engbjerg! As we chatted, I told him that it was miraculous that I was able to return to Hungary, and also funny because I got put into the same mission as my girlfriend. When he heard that, he laughed and patted me on the shoulders and said, "You have to update me on what happens! I need to know how this story ends!" hahaha.


We had splits in Dunaújváros and I got to be with my buddy, Elder McCann. We got to go on splits a few transfers ago, and we get along really well. Elder McCann and I were able to mow a néni's lawn! I have pictures, but they're on Elder McCann's camera, so they'll have to come later.

When we got back from splits, we had an unplanned lesson over Skype with a man named Sándor who lives in Denmark. We have Skyped with him once in the past, and Elder Suggs had to check something on the computer super fast, and he noticed a message from Sándor, saying that he was in a rough spot and needed help. We called him and had a great discussion about how we can receive peace in Christ, and how the Book of Mormon helps us to do that.

Immediately after that, President Hettinger came downstairs and told us to go up to his apartment (they live right above the mission home) and get some dinner. They had to leave right away, so they said, "You guys can just stay in our apartment. Just close the door on your way out!" I'm glad they trust us! 

Right after that, we had a member visit with the Gonzales family. Jared is from Mexico, and Bettina is Hungarian. They met at BYU Hawaii, were married there, and moved to Hungary to work. They gave us a bunch of extra cake and sweets that they got from someone's wedding, so we totally scored with that visit!


English class was a huge success. Got to explain a lot about our church and what we believe in and 5 people took copies of the Book of Mormon and the 21 day reading challenge afterward!

Friday we got permission to go to a YSA event and watch 17 miracles. That movie is a tough one to get through. I was biting my tongue through half of it so that I wouldn't cry hahaha. One of the sisters in my district is in that movie too! She's the little Danish girl who jumps passed all of the rattlesnakes.

One line from that movie has been bouncing around in my head for the past little while. One of the pioneers said, "There were times when I felt like giving up, but then I remembered all of the times when the Lord had spared us previously, and I offered a prayer of gratitude instead."

Sometimes, I feel like giving up too. Missionary work is the hardest work I've ever been asked to do in my life! But I think of all the miracles that have led me to this point, and I know that forward is the best direction to go, and the best way that I can show my gratitude to Heavenly Father for providing this opportunity is by working hard. Next time you feel like giving up, count your blessings and be grateful instead!

Sok szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

In Hungary, cows say mú and bú. Dogs say vau-vau, horses say nyihaha, mice say cincincin, and pigs say röf-röf-röf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment