Tuesday, June 26, 2018

You know, not every day in the life of missionaries is sunshine and chimney cakes! This week was on the more difficult side, but it was good nonetheless!

First of all, we got to go on a tour of a Jewish history center for p-day last week and it was super fun! I even got to wear a Yamaka (I don't know how to spell it, okay?) which was on my secret bucket list! It was really cool to learn about anothe religion, and much of what they taught us reminded me of our Temples.



Yesterday, we went to Zalaegerszeg for a lesson with Terézia and her neighbor. Terézia asked some of the most difficult questions I've ever heard, and she wouldn't accept any answer unless it was very clear in the Bible. We did our best to follow the Spirit and answer her questions, but in the end, I felt a tiny bit useless. All we can do is our best! Hopefully the Spirit will be her teacher as she continues to search for answers to her questions.

After that lesson, she took us over to her neighbor's house and we had a lesson with him. We talked about the Restoration, and about our beliefs in general. After we told him about Joseph Smith and the Golden plates, I said, "I know it may be hard to believe that something like this is possible, but I know that it is true, because I have read the Book of Mormon and prayed about it, and I have receieved the answer that it's true." His response totally shocked me, because it was so unexpected. He said, "Actually, I believe it. It's totally possible. I'll read the book and pray about it and find out for myself." 

What better thing can you hear as a missionary?

After he said that, I felt prompted to challenge him to be baptized. I said, "If you do receive the answer that it's true, would you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized under proper authority?" and he said YES. We didn't set a date, but he said that if it was true, he would be baptized. Pretty cool experience.



This was President Szabadkai's last week with us! President Hettinger comes in on Friday, and from then on, I'll be in the Hungary/Romania, Budapest Mission! We're all so grateful for President and Sister Szabadkai and their diligent service, but we are also excited and anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Hettingers!

I know that the Lord is directing this work, and He is at the helm. There is nothing to fear when we have this knowledge. Sometimes, things happen in our lives that we just can't understand. The important thing to understand is that God has a perfect plan for each and every one of us. Everything that He does is for our benefit! That has brought me so much comfort and peace as I've faced uncertainty and confusion in this crazy world. 

There was a huge festival here in Szombathely this week for Szent Iván day. There were rock bands, fireworks, and amusement park rides! We tried to meet with a man who told us to come back, and he wasn't home, so we decided to go and search for him at the festival. Of course, the Lord put us in each other's paths and we met him on the street and were able to talk a bit! Now tell me that He isn't directing this work!


Don't forget, God is at the helm!

Szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment