Monday, June 11, 2018

Huha, it's getting insanely hot! The eternal sweat has nearly begun! We had a super packed week. I really wish I could share everything with you all, but there just isn't enough time! I'll summarize with a good ol' fashioned bullet point list!

-Monday we went to Köszeg for p-day and we met a very interesting Bácsi. He told us that Freddie Mercury was Hungarian, and I replied with, "I've actually heard that George Washington was Hungarian too!" and he paused for a second and said, "Yeah, probably." Hahahaha. The sad part is, supposedly there's a statue of George Washington that says, "George Washington: A Hungarian American Hero" somewhere in this country! Later that day, we were talking about it and I said, "That was the 2nd craziest thing I've heard all day..." and everyone looked at me and asked, "What was the first craziest thing?" and I said, "I don't know yet, I'm still waiting for it." As we were walking back to the train station, one of the sisters said, "This might sound crazy, but I've been away from Mexican food for so long... what does a burrito look like?" and that's when I said, "There it is! That's the first craziest thing I've heard all day!" It was pretty funny.

-That last bullet point was huge

-Tuesday we met with a new investigator named Krisztina! She was found by the Székesfehérvár elders and she wanted to meet! Our lesson was awesome and she wants to meet again tomorrow! She has a ton of great questions and she's very friendly!

-Wednesday we had a zone conference in Buda. We woke up at 4 a.m. and weren't at the mission home until 10! The training was amazing. We talked about having unity in our work and it got me so pumped up to work with our branch leaders more closely.

I think this is his outgoing Mission President and wife, Pres and Sister Szabakai.

-Thursday we learned that it's important to know that you're on the right train... We were sitting on the train, on our way to district meeting, and I felt like I should make sure we were on the right train. I got up and asked a woman, "Does this train go to Sopron?" And she replied with, "Oh, no! This train just came from Sopron! It's going to Pécs!" So we hurried off the train and found the right one, luckily... We almost ended up on the wrong side of the country!

-Friday we had an awesome backyard barbecue type thing with a Priest from the Reformed church (it's a long story how we ended up there, but long story short, we were invited to go by a man from English class).There were a lot of people there and we were able to have so many good conversations, give a family a Book of Mormon, and eat some home made Hungarian cheese!

-Saturday I broke a guitar string and we went tracting in a little village about 10 minutes from Szombathely by train. We had a conversation with a really grumpy bácsi who didn't want to talk with us at all, and then we moved on to talk with his neighbors. His neighbors were picking cherries from their tree, and we offered to help them. They happily accepted our help and we had a super good conversation! We taught the entire Restoration, gave them a Book of Mormon, and asked if we could come back! They said that they would call us if they wanted to know more, but that they would surely read the book. They were so nice! The grumpy bácsi from the previous house was picking cherries from the other side of the fence and heard the whole conversation. Hopefully his heart was softened as he saw that we want to help people in more ways than just spiritually!

What the heck?



-Sunday was amazing. We have an investigator named Terézsia, who lives in a village called Zalaegerszeg. She was a self referral, but she's really old and sick and never wanted the missionaries to come over because she's too embarassed of her living condition. Instead of visiting her, we sing her a hymn each week, and call her on the phone. She LOVES the missionaries to death! On Sunday, we decided to just do a surprise visit. She was so excited to see us and we had an awesome lesson! She has read a ton online and has been waiting for a copy of the Book of Mormon for a long time. She was very excited to finally get a copy, and she invited us over next week as well for another lesson! She's incredibly sweet and I can't wait to meet with her again!

Sorry about the big wall of text, but there's a report of our week! Lots of miracles, lots of funny stories, lots of great memories, lessons learned, and friendships made.

One final thing before I end this; We were listening to President Nelson's youth devotional that we downloaded, and it was amazing! He talked about how we are all enlisted in the Lord's Battalion for Gathering Israel. It totally changed my perspective, and several times throughout the week, I was pushed by the thought that I was working to gather Israel. There is no greater work on Earth! It can be difficult when Israel doesn't want anything to do with being gathered, but you know what, when we try, the Lord magnifies our efforts and makes miracles happen. 

I love this work and I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It has brought me so much joy and purpose in this life, and it will do the same for you! Now go out there and gather Israel! It's a lot of fun!


Szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment