Tuesday, October 24, 2017

We did a ton of traveling this week! A trip to Berhida and two trips to Dunaújváros with some stops in Székesfehérvár along the way can really do a number on you! I just want to say, I love this country. It's so beautiful and living here is such a unique and wonderful experience. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have had to be here among the Hungarians.

Last p-day, we went to Erzsi néni's house for lunch (and dinner... and honestly, breakfast the next day. You just can't leave her house without being painfully, but happily, stuffed!). We were outside playing soccer while we waited for the food to cook, when Erzsi came out and told us she had clothes that we could wear so that we wouldn't get our proselyting clothes dirty. She told us that her son had worn these clothes when he was our age so we would fit in them. The only problem was that her son was our age like 40 years ago... We looked...FANTASTIC honestly hahaha. I was actually really thrilled about my shants that reached the perfect mid-calf range, very tight, s-medium shirt that probably would have fit me better when I was 15, and the flipflop-tube sock combo that just screamed "White dad at a barbecue". Rarely in my life have I ever felt so stylish, honestly!

During lunch, Erzsi gave us this huge peppers, which I thought were bell peppers. I bit a little off the end to make sure before eating the rest of the pepper. Turns out, the end isn't all that spicy compared to the rest of the pepper. I took a huge bite, which was immediately followed by shock and a realization that the pepper that I had just eaten was not the mere bell pepper that I had thought it was. Long story short, I had heartburn for several hours afterward and we laughed really hard about it. 

After being stuffed at Erzsi nénis, we had to run for our bus back to Veszprém. It was more of a waddle. A slow, painful waddle full of grumbling and complaining about how full we were and how incapable we were of reaching any speed above 3 miles per hour. When we finally arrived at the bus station, we realized that our bus didn't actually get there for another 15 minutes. Such is life sometimes!

We also got to go to Duna for splits! I was with Elder Thomas, one of our wonderful zone leaders, and we decided to work on talking with everybody. We wondered about what Preach My Gospel meant when it said, "Talk with everybody!" We reasoned that certainly toddlers wouldn't be very receptive to our message, so they couldn't possibly mean "everybody". We then set out on a quest to determine what defined "Talking with everybody". We set a split goal to talk with every Asian person we saw, no matter what, just to add a little fun to our street contacting and finding. It was actually super awesome! We did most of our street contacting outside of the local college because many of the students are from China and speak English rather than Hungarian. Our little game led to us finding several potential investigators and many really awesome English conversations! It was a blast!

We ran into some missionaries of another faith on the bus. They were a British couple who represented a very small Christian denomination called "Christadelphians". They have 2 members here in Veszprém, with larger groups in England. I think that the man told us that their total membership was around 13,000 people worldwide. I had never heard of them before, but according to this man, they believe in the Bible and encourage people to study it. We didn't really learn much else about them, but they were very nice and very respectful! They looked up to the LDS church and our missionary program a lot and had nothing but nice things to say to us. It was a very pleasant encounter.

A highlight from our week was shaking hands with Elder Ballard of the quorum of the 12 apostles. He gave a fireside which was broadcasted throughout Europe and at the end he told everyone to stand up, no matter where they were. Then we stood up and he stuck out his hand and started shaking it. It was really funny and the fireside was actually really good! Of course, I didn't understand all of it, as it was in Hungarian, but I felt the Spirit and I caught the main points.

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Lord's true Church on the earth. I have gained this knowledge through the quiet, yet piercing whispers of the Holy Ghost. I am reminded time and time again that Heavenly Father has a plan for me. Sometimes that plan goes in the exact opposite direction that we expect. Just remember, "We are all part of something MUCH bigger than ourselves." We have nothing to fear. The Lord is with us and will guide us through life always.

Sok szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

Hungarian word of the week is "pupilla" which means "pupil". It just sounds really funny and made me laugh super hard when I heard it this week because it's pronounced like poopy-la. I know, I know, I'm about as mature as a 10 year old. Sorry about it! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment