Monday, September 25, 2017

We had another solid week here in Veszprém! Both of us got pretty sick, so we spent some time resting and recovering, but we still got out and worked hard. It's actually kind of funny because the Hungarians are all convinced that if you don't wear a coat at all times, you're going to catch a cold. Well, guess who else caught colds? All of the Hungarians. They kept on nagging Elder Biesinger to wear a coat, and they were always saying that I was the smart one because I always wore my coat, then, ironically, I caught a cold first and Elder Biesinger was fine. Since we spend 24 hours a day together, it was only a matter of time before my cold spread to him. Poor elder. I feel bad, but I tried so hard not to spread it!

Besides getting sick, we also had zone conference which was great. We are implementing self reliance classes that we will be teaching each week, so that should be fun. We are also focusing a bit more on family history as a way to find people this transfer. I'm personally pretty excited about it! People love to talk about their families, especially the nénis.

We had a soccer match with one of our investigators and some of the Veszprém youth. It was half court and poor Elder Biesinger was all time goalie. He got smacked pretty good a few times and the soccer ball we used was NOT soft!

My first week here in Veszprém, we tracted into a woman who happily let us in. Her name is Udit. She's a teacher and last time we came over we had a great conversation, gave her a Book of Mormon, got stuffed to the brim with fruit, and she sent us off with two jars of jam. Well, we asked her if she wanted to meet again sometime and she said she would call us after talking with her husband. Guess who called this week? UDIT! She invited us over for dinner and that's where we ate last night. We had stuffed peppers and stuffed rolls (Hungarians love to stuff stuff) and it was delicious. After that, János (Udit's husband) showed us his coin/currency collection, which was incredibly impressive. He had one of every bill that Hungary has pretty much ever had, or at least that's what it seemed like to me. He told us the history of the currency of Hungary and all sorts of cool stuff. He had some coins which were used in the year 1000! It was crazy!

Fun fact, Hungary had the worst year of inflation in recorded history, according to János, when they used the "Pengő". In ONE YEAR, they went from using one pengő bills, to ONE-HUNDRED-MILLION-TRILLION pengő notes. I thought it was just a myth until I saw the notes myself. In 1946, one U.S. dollar was worth 460,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pengő. That's pretty bad. After the forint was introduced, they literally just swept the pengő up in the streets because it was worthless.

We also talked about family history with them and they're really excited about it! We're going to come back to talk about family history and why we focus so much on it in our church. I'm super excited!

I just wanted to say thank you all for your love and support. It means a lot to me! I hope you all have a wonderful week! My unsolicited advice for the week is to look up at the sky more. It's pretty dang pretty sometimes!

Sok szeretettel,

Burnett Elder

Hungarian word of the week: "Meg fogsz fázni!" which means "You're going to freeze/catch a cold!" We hear that about a million times any time we walk outside without a coat on.

No comments:

Post a Comment